GL4U is designed by NASA GeneLab in collaboration with the GeneLab Educational Working Group (EWG) to provide space biology-relevant training in bioinformatics to the next generation of scientists through direct and indirect approaches. The GeneLab team plans to host two annual data processing bootcamps, one for college-level students (direct) and one for college educators (indirect – training of trainers), for each type of omics data hosted on the GeneLab Data Repository. During the bootcamps, participants will learn about space biology, experimental design, data generation and associated technology usage, and perform hands-on analysis of space-relevant omics data using GeneLab's standard processing pipelines. During the indirect bootcamp, educators will receive materials and training to enable them to run the direct bootcamp at their home institutions or alternatively to adapt the content to implement within existing college courses, thereby extending the reach of this initiative to more students.
Previous GL4U Bootcamps:
- GL4U: Pilot RNAseq Student Bootcamp - In June 2021, GL4U partnered with San Jose State University (SJSU) and Universities Space Research Association (USRA) to host the pilot GL4U: RNAseq Student bootcamp for SJSU undergraduate students. All content from the bootcamp including links to video recordings from the bootcamp are publicly available on GitHub.
- GL4U: Pilot RNAseq Educator Bootcamp - In June 2022, GL4U partnered with Jet Propulsion Laboratory’s (JPL) Planetary Protection Center of Excellence to host the pilot GL4U: RNAseq Educator bootcamp for professors and graduate student teaching assistants from 4 different HBCUs and MSIs. All content from the bootcamp including links to video recordings from the bootcamp are publicly available on GitHub.
Upcoming GL4U Bootcamps:
- GL4U: Pilot Amplicon Seq Student Bootcamp - This bootcamp is currently in development, more info coming soon...
Sign up for the GL4U Mailing List:
- Stay up-to-date on future GL4U events / bootcamps.
- Send an e-mail to GL4Ufirstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject: subscribe